There was a time when people had to depend on printing presses and big printers to get their contents printed. Then with the evolution of technology, printers began to come in medium sizes, which could be afforded by small the business institution and people had to pay these institutions for each-and-every print. However, today, things have changed a lot. Printing machines are cheaper and people could afford to get themselves one for their personal use.
Printers today come with many features incorporated into it. These features could include a wireless connection for photo printing and document scanning. The price of the printers today is comparatively lesser than ever before. However, if you check the market today, you could find more than a dozen brands marketing printers at a reasonable price with the same features or different features. It would be a challenging task to select the best printer from the Indian market today. Nevertheless, to make things easier for you, in this article I will provide all details that could help you choose and purchase the best printer.
Types of printer – There are different types of printers available on the market today. They are differentiated based on the type of printing they perform.
1. Inkjet printer – An inkjet printer could also be termed as a color printer. As the name suggests this type of printer sprays tiny droplet of ink directly to the paper to produce images, words etc. However, the quality of the print is high and no other type of printer could match its quality. One of the notable things about inkjet printer is that it comes with a 3-in-1 feature that enables the user to print, copy, and scan documents. Some models also come with an extra-added feature fax.
2. Laser printer – A laser printer is not like the inkjet printer. It is designed for bulk printing and cost per page is very less than an inkjet printer. This type of printer uses static electricity and toner powder to print rather than spraying ink on to the paper. The notable advantages of laser printers are that its high-speed printing and cost efficiency. One of the another notable advantage of the laser printer is that the toner is in the form of powder, therefore, you don’t have to wait for the ink to dry like an inkjet printer.
3. Photo printers – You would know what a photograph is and you would know that photos captured on a camera could be printed on to a special kind of paper. In the beginning, photo printing was possible only at the studios using specialized devices and techniques. However, with the introduction of photo printers, anyone could simply purchase a photo printer, which comes at a reasonable price and simply print the photos. A photo printer could be used to print the photos directly from a digital camera, SD cards, memory sticks, Compact Flash etc.
4. 3D printers – As the name suggests 3D printers does 3D printing using resin, plastic, or any sort of powder. These materials are fed into the printer, which, in turn, melts the material fed into them and releases them into thin layers in such a way that it stacks on top of each other to form a 3D printout. One of the greatest advantages of 3D printers is that they need just the design, input of raw materials, and power supply. The 3D printout will be ready in hours.
5. Connectivity – Not all printers come with the same connectivity features. All of them would have the option to be connected through a cable, but with technology, growing day-by-day most of the devices are getting wireless connection options. It is very important that you check the specification, purchase a printer with wireless connection option, and not just a wired connection.
6. Paper handling – Different printers handle paper in a different way. Both inkjet and laser printer could print on A3 size papers and would come with input and output paper tray. These trays could hold more than 100 sheets of paper in one setting. There are printers with multiple layers of trays that can hold more than 100 sheets of paper. The printers could move paper into them through different methods, some could draw the paper from the tray using rubber rollers to guide them, and some printers come with a top-loading feature, which makes use of gravity to move the paper into the printer. Therefore, while purchasing a printer, consider the type of feed and number of trays.
7. Printer speed – Printer speed is very important if you are considering on buying the printer for bulk printing or copying. The speed of the printer is often denoted in PPM or CPM, pages per minute or copies per minute. The larger the PPM or CPM number is, the faster your printer would be. However, as the PPM or CPM value increases, the price of the printer also increases as the technology and efficiency of the printer would be comparatively higher.
8. Duplexing – If you have ever been to a printing shop or a vendor who has a printing machine. You would find that the cost of the paper is comparatively higher than the printing fare. Yes, this is true. Duplexing is a feature incorporated on printers that enable the printer to print on one side of the paper and feed the paper in the reverse order to print on the opposite side of the same paper. This, in turn, could help the user reduce the use of paper and there is no manual labor required to turn the paper. If you prefer getting both sides of the paper printed, then this feature could be considered.
9. Extra features – Printers these days come incorporated with many extra features. However, it is very important that you purchase a printer with features that meet your requirement. Some of the useful common features are an inbuilt card reader, PictBridge that enables the user to directly plug the digital camera to the printer without using a PC or laptop.
Here is the list of best printers available on the Indian market with a price less than INR 5000.
- 1. HP DeskJet 2131 All-in-One Inkjet Colour Printer
- 2. HP DeskJet 2135 All-in-One Ink Advantage Colour Printer
- 3. Canon Pixma MG2577s All-in-One Inkjet Colour Printer (Blue/White)
- 4. Canon Pixma E477 All-in-One Wireless Ink Efficient Colour Printer (White/Blue) (469)
- 5. Canon MG2570 Colour Multifunction Inkjet Printer (White)
1. HP DeskJet 2131 All-in-One Inkjet Colour Printer
This printer from the brand HP is a all-in-one printer that could scan, copy, and print. This printer comes with a USB connectivity option and comes with a 1-year product warranty from the date of purchase of the product. The PPM rating of this printer is 7.5 and the printing is done as per ISO standards. The product supports papers of page size A4, B5, A6, DL envelope. One of the notable things about this printer is that it comes with duplex printing feature incorporated into it.
Price – INR 2,800/- approx
2. HP DeskJet 2135 All-in-One Ink Advantage Colour Printer
Unlike the above-mentioned printer, this printer comes with an ink advantage type of printer that ensures higher quality printing. This device could print, scan, and copy without using any external add-ons. The product comes with USB connectivity feature and a product warranty of 1-year from the date of purchase. The manufacturer claims that if the product is used according to the instruction provided with the product, then the printer could deliver 1000 pages a month.
Price – INR 4,300/- approx
3. Canon Pixma MG2577s All-in-One Inkjet Colour Printer (Blue/White)
This inkjet printer from the brand Canon could print up to 8 pages per minute and comes with a USB connectivity feature. This printer comes with a 1-year warranty from the date of purchase and the printer could be used for scanning, printing, and copying purposes without any add-ons. This printer could be loaded with paper of size 4.0″x6.0″ till A4.
Price – INR 2,900/- approx
4. Canon Pixma E477 All-in-One Wireless Ink Efficient Colour Printer (White/Blue) (469)
This printer from the brand Canon is perhaps one of the only wireless printers on this list and that comes under this price range. This printer like the above-mentioned Canon printer could be used for scanning, copying, and printing purposes. The product has wireless, USB, Canon Selphy connectivity. This printer comes with a 1-year product warranty and it could print 400 color pages with just a single load of ink cartridge. The printer could be loaded with paper of page size 4.0″x6.0″ till A4.
Price – INR 4,500/- approx
5. Canon MG2570 Colour Multifunction Inkjet Printer (White)
This inkjet printer from the brand Canon comes with a USB connectivity option and could print 8 pages per minute. The whole product is lightweight and could be carried from one place to another without any difficulty. This printer could be used for scanning, printing, and copying purposes. However, the product lacks manual or automatic duplex feature.
Price – INR 3,600/- approx
If you are a person who spends a lot of money on print outs, then, it is better you consider purchasing a printer. All the products mentioned above come with good features and excellent print quality. Consider buying any one of them and enjoy.